04 November 2013

In Every Needful Thing

This past weekend has been one of many miracles! My Sister Kate and her husband, Ryan, had to, at last minute, fly to Utah for their Grandfather's funeral, leaving me to watch their two precious children, Carly and Connor. As Kate and Ryan were in my prayers during this difficult time, I could not help but feel blessed and honored to be able to spend this time with my niece and nephew.
For those not familiar with my family, Connor is three years old, soon to be four in March. At the age of two he was diagnosed with Autism. Autism has affected him in many ways, including his speech, his motor skills, and ability to adjust to change. He is very set in his routine, and if something changes, it can be a very big upset. He is also very particular in what he eats and what he watches on the t.v. That being said, he is also the most precious, sweet, friendly, loving boy you will EVER meet in your life. He will give anyone a hug, or blow them a kiss,  and has to say 'hi' to everyone we meets.  I know that Heavenly Father has a special place for him in His heart. I could feel this so strongly when taking care of Carly and Connor this weekend. There were so many mighty miracles that were performed. Although they seem small, they had very large

Miracle #1 Every day, the same routine. Wake up myself, wake up Carly, get her dressed and ready, prepare her cereal. Go back upstairs, wake up Connor, let him turn his light on, shut his door, and he finishes off with turning off his humidifier and noise maker. I then pick him up change his diaper put him in his clothes, then bring him down stairs for breakfast. Carly is already off to school, so Connor and I have time to play until his bus comes at 11:30. When both he and Carly come home from school at 3, he knows that immediately it is time for his nap. Around 6pm I go to wake him up, same routine. But this time, I need to be sure to have a movie playing on the t.v. for when he comes down. Browsing through the movies in knowing what to play, I went to put on Cars, when the sudden thought came to me to put on Toys Story 3; a thought so quiet, had I not learned from life's experiences what this was, I would have easily dismissed the thought, thinking I knew better. This could not be the case. Our Father in Heaven is mindful of every needful thing. I turn on Toy Story 3. I go upstairs to wake Connor, whom, while changing his diaper keeps requesting, in these words, "Bzz Liyer, Bzz Liyer!" Translation: "Buzz Lightyear, Buzz Lightyear!" I know, had I not put Toys Story 3, he would have come down those stairs seeing the movie Cars on and put on a fit that could have delayed dinner for at least a half an hour, which on a night where baths were in order could have set many other routines OUT of order. A blessing, a tender mercy, my miracle.

Miracle #2  We then come to when I wasfeeding Connor and Carly lunch on Saturday. I was cutting an apple into slices for Carly, when I again felt inspired to leave some slices because although Connor begged for blueberries, was not going to eat them. After finishing his sandwhich, I encouraged Connor to eat his blueberries. He defiantly said his usual, "NO!"...there is no point in arguing with that, it will just continue on to an Emporere's New Groove  moment (nuh uh, ya huh, nuh uh, ya huh, etc.). So I, knowing I had left apple for him to eat, asked, "Connor do you want some apple?" With a sweet tone and smile on his face he said, "Affle!" I said yet another prayer to Heavenly Father for blessing me at this time. It was these small little moments that testified to me each day of His love for His children.

In the scriptures we are told to cry over every needful thing. I know that if we always have a prayer in our heart, we will see many mighty miracles. God is our Father, and we are children of God. He loves us more than anything in the world, and wants to help us, even in every needful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment